Christian writer John Shore has written an incredible article about ways Christians frequently fail to live up to the ideals of their religious teachings. As someone who has frequently scowled at so-called Christians behaving in ways that blatantly ignore the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, I cheered aloud when I read this.
The list itself is pretty comprehensive:
- Too much money
- Too confident God thinks we’re all that and a leather-bound gift Bible.
- Too quick to believe that we know what God really means by what he says in the Bible.
- Too invasive of others generally.
- Too invasive of others personally.
- Too quick to abandon logic.
- Too fixated on homosexuality.
- Too insular.
- Too uneducated about Christianity.
The author goes into detail about each one of those items, and even links to full-blown essays about some of them. It’s flat-out inspiring. If more Christians actually heeded this warning and avoided these un-Jesus-like behaviors, the world would be a better place and I’d have a whole lot less hostility towards Christianity as an organized group of people.
Click here if you’d like to read the full article. I hope that you’ll find it as thought-provoking as I did.