A new year is upon us, and of course, I find myself filled with nostalgia. Many of my friends have posted Facebook status updates cursing 2011 and hoping that 2012 will be better — but I for one have much to be thankful for from the year that has passed.
Sure, there were frustrations, disappointments, and setbacks… But I’ve decided instead to focus on the good things that happened each month.
- January started off with a visit to New York (for the annual MLK, Jr. weekend trip) to see SPIDER-MAN: Turn Off the Dark, Driving Miss Daisy, and American Idiot
- February, we had a visit by Sal’s mom, the production of The House of Yes in Charlotte, the HRC North Carolina Gala in Raleigh, and the discovery of Nala on the side of the road outside the Whitewater Center
- March brought the start of rafting season at the Whitewater Center, Thijson’s visit to Charlotte and first trip rafting with me, and my visit down to Florida
- In April, we visited NYC again and saw Catch Me If You Can, Sister Act, and The Book of Mormon
- May included a weekend getaway at the home of our dear friends Randy and Aby, and the beginning of Raft Guide School at the Whitewater Center
- June brought the start of the River Jam series, a bunch of local and touring theatre, the end of Raft Guide School, and the beginning of a new job at the bank
- In July, we visited Florida for a weeklong visit around the 4th of July, and I finished my certification as a raft guide
- In August, we came back up to NYC for the wedding of our dear friends Jason and Victoria, and I signed a lease for an apartment in Astoria (which I later discovered was not going to allow us to move in with the dogs, and thus we backed out of it)
- September was the month in which I signed a lease (sight unseen) for an apartment in Jackson Heights, packed up my belongings, and moved to New York City
- October was a month of travel, with company-sponsored trips to the HRC National Dinner in Washington DC, the Reaching Out MBA conference, and the Out & Equal Workplace Summit, followed by a quick weekend trip to Florida for the wedding of my friends Jennifer and Mike
- November was the month of our housewarming party, my surprise birthday party, and our first Thanksgiving dinner in our new home
- In December I returned to Charlotte for a Global Diversity & Inclusion Award at my company, a series of visits to NYC from my friends Anthony, Hillary, and Kim, a weekend getaway to visit Jason and Victoria on Long Island, our first Christmas Eve Eve party in New York, and our first New Year’s Eve party in New York.